Friday, April 4, 2014

I am a poet

I am a poet; I have been for 30 years. I love words -- how they sound, alone or strung together in chains; how they make my spirit vibrate, the way you feel the cello in your chest. Words resonate in my soul and echo in my mind, like a delicate concerto for strings.

Sometimes words fall from my pen to the paper like drops of water from a leaky faucet. Sometimes someone tightens the washers and the drips dry up. Other times the washers give way completely, and the words spew everywhere, drenching me, the floor, the walls, and the ceiling, leaving me to mop them up with paper.

Only later, when the soaked pages have dried, do the words begin to vibrate. They must cure into the chains that become vibrating strings to be plucked and stroked. resonating and echoing in the chest, imagination, and the spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment